Monday, April 1, 2013

Ultrasounds and Shots

This weekend was a little rough.  I went in on Friday to my Ultrasound optimistic and ready for some great news for our weekend plans of IUI.  Unfortunately, I learned, yet again, that my body NEVER does what I want it to do.  My follicles were not quite as far along as they needed to be to induce ovulation.  I had several small 10 mm follicles and one larger 15 mm.  The follicles must be 18-20 mm in size in order to release during ovulation.  I was SUPER bummed to hear this.  I was also surprised that I only had one follicle that looked like it was maturing.  Last month I had three!  (Not that it made much of a difference!)  After I had the Ultrasound the doctor explained that it would most likely be Tuesday for Insemination.  Of course it would be Tuesday!  The one day I am scheduled to go out of town for work!  Seriously ovaries?!?  Could you not cooperate one month?!  He told me that I would need to keep performing the ovulation tests and that I would need to come back on Sunday for another ultrasound.

Sunday morning I pulled myself out of bed and reluctantly went in to have my ultrasound.  The Easter Bunny was nice to me because this time the large follicle was 20 mm!!  I was really excited to see that there was progress.  The other follicles were still smaller so it looks like we only have one chance this month.  I am hoping it is a tough little guy and does exactly what it is supposed to!  After the ultrasound we talked about doing a Trigger Shot.  The trigger shot is a compound of HCG that forces your body to ovulate within 48 hours.  This would put us at Tuesday for doing the IUI.  I was really hoping that we could do the IUI on Monday, but the doctor thought it would be unlikely.  They told me to take another Ovulation test Sunday night and if it was negative, I would do the trigger shot at 10 pm.  If it was positive, then I would come in the next day and not do the shot.

For those of you that have ever peed on a stick, you know how challenging it can be at times.  Sometimes that stream just does whatever it wants and it is like you are trying to lasso a moving target. This was my experience Sunday night.  I went to do my business and when I started to pee hardly anything would come out.  So then I am freaking out that I am not going to get any urine on the stupid thing.  Finally the flood gates opened and I severely drowned the stick.  The test came back negative but I was paranoid that it was inaccurate  because of the drowning situation.  I started chugging water to retest.  The second time around I decided to take the skill out of it and peed in a cup.  Why hadn't I thought of this before?!?  So much easier!  Well even though it was easier, the test was inconclusive.  I couldn't tell if it was negative or positive.  Here it was 9:00 pm and I didn't know if I should do the HCG shot or not.  I even asked my husband what he thought.  Haha.  He didn't even know what an Ovulation test was.  I finally decided to go to the store and buy a digital test so that there would be no question.  45 dollars later and I had an official "negative" result.

Since the test was negative, I told my hubby that he needed to give me a shot.  He was a little more nervous than I was!  I got out the supplies and realized that they gave me a 19.5 gauge needle.  For those of you that are familiar with needles, you will know that this is a HUGE needle.  I was totally expecting a 30 gauge or something close to that.  Plus the needle was about 2.5 inches long.  I started to panic and realized that this was going to hurt.  I sucked it up and closed my eyes and told my husband to get it over with.  He started to push and didn't puncture the skin.  Inside  I was yelling, "just push it in already!", but somehow I managed to bear the odd sensation of a needle pushing on my skin but not puncturing through.  Finally he poked through and it was over, just like that.  It really wasn't that bad and I had it built up way too much in my head.  So now we wait until Tuesday.  I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment