Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Retrieval

Yesterday we had our egg retrieval.  I was pretty nervous but everything went great!  The doctor was able to get 25 eggs!!  We were ecstatic.  25 is my lucky number afterall.  I was #25 on all of my sports teams and my daughter was born on the 25th of April.  What a perfect number!  I went home feeling pretty good and slept most of the day.  The times that I was awake were super painful.  Here are the things that no one warned me about:
1.  Getting 25 eggs removed pretty much feels like you were stabbed over and over 25 times.  My insides are so sore and the slightest movement sends stabbing pain throughout.
2.  Going to the bathroom is dreaded.  As I mentioned before, everything hurts and going pee is no exception.  I finally sort of went #2 today and it felt like my insides were ripping.  I think I'd rather stay constipated.
3.  I look pregnant.  My guts are so swollen that it looks like I am already a couple of months along.  If all this works out, I won't care much about this one.
4.  Along with the swelling comes extreme tenderness.  I found the loosest stretchiest clothes that I could today and it still felt like I was being squished.
5.  You can't take anything but Tylenol, which does nothing to dull the pain.

All of this was worth it though.  Out the 25 eggs, we have 13 good embryos!  22 of the eggs were actually mature, 14 fertilized, but 1 was abnormal.  I can't believe we had such a good outcome!  I am so excited to hear how they do the next few days.  We are scheduled to do our transfer on Friday and I get to start the lovely progesterone tomorrow.  Fingers crossed that my uterus behaves and allows us to do the transfer.  The doctor mentioned that I still had fluid in my uterus from the hyperstimulation so let's hope that resolves in the next day or two.  Happy thoughts!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment